West Side Fruit Growers Association
Lua error: Internal error: The interpreter exited with status 126. Grower's association in the West Side (Cupertino area). Drying yard and packing house was on Stevens Creek Road near the current Woodham's Road. The association was founded in 1891, and was merged into the Santa Clara County Fruit Exchange with the other local organizations. Supposedly, the group disappeared in 1916, but the 1922 list of fruit packers in a Santa Clara County history continued to list them in 1922.
The plant was taken over by Abinante and Nola] in the mid 1930's; the buildings burned down in a fire on May 19, 1940 according to the May 20, 1940 San Jose Evening News.
Locations
Location | Years | Address | Details |
---|---|---|---|
West Side | 1891-1916 | Stevens Creek Road at Woodhams, Santa Clara |
Details
Founded in 1891, with Charles W. Cutler as first manager (Sunsweet book). Colonel Philo Hersey, President from founding through at least 1896 according to Sunshine Fruit and Flowers. Merged into Santa Clara County Fruit Exchange. Supposedly disappeared in 1916, but noted as independent packer in 1922 list, with location in "Cupertino".
Large drying yard and processing plant, 3,650 tons of fruit in 1893.
1902: AP Saunders president.