|Primary Town||San Francisco|
|Primary Business||Dried Fruit Packer|
|San Francisco||1908||149 California Street|
|San Jose||1899||740 West San Carlos Street|
|San Jose||1900||San Carlos at Race|
|San Jose||1901-1930||Cinnabar Street at Montgomery|
Existed in the 1890's. Still existed in 1921.
Grocers by that name in SP's directory of served industries, 1872 1901: George Rogers, general manager
Company officer 1907: Albert Castle. Sold fruit to Armour during the anti-trust case in 1919 (along with Phoenix):
Principals were Albert N. and Arthur H. Castle in 1905.
Was going to merge with Guggenhime, Rosenberg Bros, and Phoenix Packing in 1905, but Rosenberg reneged on the deal.
Part-owned Pacific Coast Raisin Company with Phoenix Packing in 1905.
See Oct 6, 1905 San Francisco Call (p. 16) for info on lawsuit from merger.
San Jose plant burned on October 19, 1913 according to "October 20, 1913 San Francisco Call":http://cdnc.ucr.edu/cdnc/cgi-bin/cdnc?a=d&cl=search&d=SFC19131020.2.40.3&srpos=2&e=-------en--20--1--txt-IN-%22castle+brothers%22----#
New concrete plant started in 1914 according to the May 8, 1914 San Jose Evening News William Binder, architect, Z. O. Field, contractor. 110 feet x 110 feet, "best equipped fireproof pacing house in California"
Burned in 1899":http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1982&dat=18990420&id=36EkAAAAIBAJ&sjid=4qMFAAAAIBAJ&pg=1775,4134430 along with Zicovich winery. (740 San Carlos?) See report from "the day after":http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=4KEkAAAAIBAJ&sjid=4qMFAAAAIBAJ&pg=1796%2C4175790 "Effect of fire on prune prices, from August 1, 1899 San Jose Evening News
San Carlos Street warehouse was brick; it had been built seven years before as a grain warehouse. Owned by I.G. Knowles who owned the land.
Castle Brothers had another warehouse near Inderridden at railroad yards which burned on August 1, 1899 That warehouse was corrugaged iron, 100 x 55, and was formerly a warehouse for E.B. Howard. The SP's car scale also burned in that fire.
Cinnabar plant - employee badly injured by elevator while working at the plant, according to the October 29, 1903 San Jose Evening News . Burned on October 19, 1913 according to
"October 20, 1913 San Francisco Call":http://cdnc.ucr.edu/cdnc/cgi-bin/cdnc?a=d&cl=search&d=SFC19131020.2.40.3&srpos=2&e=-------en--20--1--txt-IN-%22castle+brothers%22----#
Retired from the dried fruit business according to the July 6, 1918 California Fruit News. Brands carried on by Harry Hall and Company.
Existed in 1893 according to biography of William Francis Tooney, who worked for them from 1893-1895.