Central Santa Clara Fruit Company
Dried Fruit Packer
The Central Santa Clara Fruit Company was a dried fruit packer in Cambell, California. The company was incorporated on July 14, 1903. The company purchased the building and machinery for the Luehning Company's plant in Campbell in 1903. Founding directors were B. O. Curry (Campbell), J. N. Lipscomb (Saratoga), M. B. Atkinson (Saratoga), Robert Wilson (Los Gatos), and R. W. Mantz (Berryessa). $4,600 was put up as initial capital, with additional subscribers including A. P. Merrill, Henry Stewart, Mrs. A. B. Reilly, J. W. Field, A. W. French, Edith Cheney, E. James, and Frances A. Paddock.
Central Santa Clara Fruit Company's plant shows up in photos in Campbell: The Orchard City, and referenced elsewhere. (pg 278, 280, 297) Campbell Arcadia book (p.34) shows it as well, with a sign for "C.W. Davison attorney at law" in the office window. A Charles W. Davison was a mayor of San Jose in 1909. CW Davison was 25 in 1900; his father was a farmer on Meridian Road. 1905 Sanborn maps shows it immediately on corner of Campbell Ave and railroad tracks at South side of the street. Building shows on 1897 Sanborn as former livery stable. 1905 Sanborn shows boiler house behind, oil tank in ground.
The company filed for dissolution on June 17, 1905, noting that all assets had been distributed to stockholders and all debts paid. Directors at the time of dissolution were A.W. French, J.W. Field, B.O. Curry, A.P. Merrill, and W. B. Evans. The company appears in 1905 list of corporations that have forfeited their right to do business by not paying corporation tax.
Alice Iola O'Hare photograph of Campbell packing house looks like it might be an interior shot (or might be Campbell Fruit Growers' Union)
Former livery stable, formery occupied by Ernest Luehning Company.
- Ready For Business: July 24, 1903 San Jose Evening News: "The Central Santa Clara Packing Company of Campbell has purchased the up-to-date equipment of the Ernest Luehning Packing House at Campbell and is now prepared for business at the building formerly occupied by the Luehning Company, opposite the Ainsley Cannery".
- Articles of Incorporation, Central Santa Clara Fruit Company, July 11 1903. In California State Archives.
- 1905 Campbell Sanborn map at UCSC
- Company to Dissolve: June 17, 1905 San Jose Evening News. E.A. Wilcox is the attorney for the corporation.
- Fruit Packing Concern Goes Out of Business: June 18, 1905 San Jose Sunday Mercury and Herald.