Griffin and Skelley
Dried Fruit Packer and Canner
Hawthorn (canned apricots), Griffin (raisins)
Griffin and Seegar (1881-1895)
Griffin and Skelley was a dried fruit packer and canner, founded in 1881 and merged into Del Monte during its formation in 1916. Griffin and Skelley started packing oranges in Riverside, California, pioneered the dried fruit industry, and eventually moved into canning. Founders were Willard M. Griffin and a Mr. Seegar; E.R. Skelley joined the firm in 1894 managing the Riverside packing house, and became a partner in 1895 when Skelley retired and the Riverside plant closed.
Griffin and Skelley moved into San Jose some time before 1903 according to the June 25, 1903 San Jose Evening News: "Another packing house in the neighbrhood of the narrow gauge depot will be improved. Griffin and Skelley are building another story on their plant."
William Griffin died in 1913 and was replaced by his sons, Charles W. Sr. Griffin and Andrew G. Griffin. When Griffin and Skelley was merged into the new Del Monte company, both became directors.
|Emeryville||1903||Article about new cannery in August 5, 1905 (unknown source)|
|Fresno||1900||???||(In San Francisco Call 1900 "list of delivery spots":http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn/sn85066387/1900-07-29/ed-1/seq-25.pdf for California Cured Fruit Association)|
|Riverside||1884-1895||Orange packing house. Managed by E.R. Skelley 1884-1895.|
|San Francisco||1908||16 California Street|
|San Jose||1900, 1904, 1906, 1907||Cahill St. at San Fernando St.||(Pacific Wine had a site on the east side of Cahill in 1891). Manager was F. Fleming according to 1906 list of automobile owners.|
|San Jose||1915||76 Bush Street||At corner of West San Fernando. (became Del Monte ) Dried fruit grading and packing.|
|Visalia||1900||???||(In San Francisco Call 1900 list of delivery spots for California Cured Fruit Association)|
- William Braznell, California's FInest: The History of the Del Monte Corporation and the Del Monte Branch. 1982, Del Monte Coporation.
- Los Altos Hills History