J. B. Inderrieden
J. B. Inderrieden was a Chicago-based wholesale grocer. The company ran dried fruit packing houses in California in Fresno, San Jose, and Hanford. In 1916, the company also represented the Pacific Coast Canning Company (in Los Nietos and Ranchito) and the Mountain View and Fullerton Walnut Growers Assocations. The company was a packer for the California Cured Fruit Association in 1900. The company also packed for the recently-formed California Prune and Apricot Growers in 1917.
|Fresno||1900||???||(In San Francisco Call 1900 list of delivery spots for California Cured Fruit Association)|
|San Francisco||1910, 1921||112 Market Street||Santa Marina Building,|
|San Jose||1900, 1902, 1904, 1906, 1907, 1915,1917, 1927, 1931, 1936||200 Ryland Street||(Sanborn lists as 236 Ryland in 1915, 1902 city directory shows 200-224 Ryland) Shows in 1900 California Call list. In July 21, 1917 San Jose Evening News.|
J. B. Inderrieden in San Jose
Inderrieden's packing house in San Jose was on Ryland Street on the north side of the Southern Pacific railroad yard. Inderrieden's packing house was threatened when the Rosenberg packing house next door burned to the ground in 1906. The site was later used by Abinante and Nola.
In 1902, the company also had an office at 5 North First St. in San Jose, with Harry Lechler as the manager.
J. B. Inderrieden in Hanford
The Inderrieden packing house in Hanford was built in 1899 along the Santa Fe railroad, and appeared to be used for raisin packing. According to the Pacific Rural Press:
According to the Sentinel, the Inderrieden packing house on the Valley Road in Hanford, just being completed, is a model building for that business. Fruit men and builders who have inspected the new building have pronounced it to be without an equal in the State for the purpose for which it is intended. This reflects great credit on Manager Hoag, as the entire building from office to engine room was constructed under his supervision, and in accordance with his plans as to how a packing house should be built, and upon Dave Gamble, superintendent of construction. The building faces 170 feet on the railroad track, and, including porches on each side, is 100 feet wide. This large space is divided up into a stemming room 100x76 feet, an engine room on the north end 10 feet wide, a packing room 50x60 feet, office 20x16, private room 15x16, scale room 15x16 and sweat rooms 15x32 feet. The office, scale and private rooms are located at the northwest corner of the building and the weighing-in scales are close to the office, reducing the work of receiving to a minimum. In the engine room a new engine and boiler of 20 FT. P. capacity have been placed in position, with steam pipes leading to the sweat rooms, where waste steam will be utilized.
- Advertisement, 1916 California Fruit News
- List of California Cured Fruit Association drop-off sites, July 29, 1900 San Francisco Call.
- Pacific Rural Press, August 5, 1899.