Libby, McNeil, and Libby
Libby, McNeil, and Libby was a Chicago-based canner, organized in 1875.
Their Sunnyvale cannery, opened in 1907, was large and long-lived; the water tank from the cannery still sits in the industrial park off Mathilda, painted as one of Libby's cans. Libby's opened the Sunnyvale cannery as their first west-coast plant due to the encouragement of local real estate agents and proximity to San Francisco Sunnyvale had primarily been a meat-packing company; the Sunnyvale plant was an attempt to broaden their product line The cannery closed in the early 1980's, and the plant was torn down by 1985.
Newspaper articles in 1916 suggest that Libby's was connected with the Swift meat-packing business.
|Sacramento||1913-1982||1724 Stockton Ave.||History|
|Sacramento||1914||Folsom Blvd. and Hazel Ave||Olive pickling.|
|San Francisco||1912||112 Market Street||Santa Marina Building|
|San Francisco||1922||465 California Street.|
|San Jose||1926-1927||4th and Lewis||Leased from California Prune and Apricot Growers.|
|Santa Clara||1927-||Franklin Street|
|Sunnyvale||1907-1981||Mathilda and Evelyn Avenue||water tank still exists.|
- Kent L. Seavey, Yolanda Wuth, and James C. Williams, Images: Sunnyvale's Heritage Resources, 1988, City of Sunnyvale. Chapter 4.
- Canneries hold important place in Sunnyvale's history: August 9, 2012 San Jose Mercury Views
- $25,000,000 Merger of California Canneries: August 23, 1916 San Jose Evening News.
- These Shippers have Signed On With Peach and Fig Growers: July 1921 Associated Grower magazine