Stewart Fruit Company
Dried Fruit Packer
San Francisco, CA
1904 - 1930
Stewart Fruit Co
Oakland Trib article from 1914 comments on pear harvest.
|San Jose||1911||Pleasant Street at Julian Street|
|San Jose||1916||New Street at corner of Pleasant Street|
|San Jose||1931||Pleasant Street at Bassett Street||
On SP, Sanborn map.
Founded in 1904 with $100,000 capital; the San Francisco Call (May 26, 1904) hints that Stewart was a front for the Santa Fe's efforts to compete with the SP to get fruit shipments from Northern California. W. H. Stewart and R. E. Lyons were both connected with SP's Southern California representative for their fruit agency, and the VP was connected with the distributor's combine, both closely allied with the SP, but Santa Fe's refrigerator manager hinted that Stewart was being inspired by Santa Fe's new push.
On the other hand, the obituary from the January 1, 1921 California Fruit News for Bob Lyons cites an impressive heritage: Lyons had been Alden Anderson's personal assistant while Anderson was general manager of the California Fruit Distributors, Earl Fruit Company, then left Earl in 1904 to start his own company. Stewart had been at Earl Fruit as well.
Offices in San Francisco and Los Angeles according to 1916 California Fruit News ad San Jose office run by ALEXANDER MATRACIA 1920s corporate information Company went into receivership around 1930; legal notice in August 5, 1930 San Jose Evening News states that E.G. Potter, receiver for the Stewart Fruit Company, was selling the lot west of Terraine Street and north of Bassett/South of the railroad tracks. The lot was ~160x860 feet, and included land in reciprocal leases for use with Anderson-Barngrover.
San Jose land was bought by Stewart in 1918 according to land description in groundwater pollution deed restrictions on FMC land. New Street (photo) Also in city directory) (Guggenhime?) SP Valuation Map shows them at Pleasant and Bassett, next to the railroad tracks, as does 1932 Sanborn map.
Hayward: (As Stewart Fruit Packnig) Finished building warehouse in Hayward, immediately for packing cherries -(1925/04/23 Hayward Review).