Sunnyvale Canneries was an early, Sunnyvale-based canner. The company was founded by George H. Hooke after his sale of the Los Gatos Canneries to Hunt Brothers Packing Company. The Sunnyvale Canneries plant was located at Fair Oaks Ave. and the railroad tracks.
A 1920 directory lists the company as "Hooke and Cribari", packing under the Hooke brand
In 1908, the company employed four hundred people in a season and bought $102,000 in cherries - about half of the cannery's capacity. In good years, the company would also ship seventy five carloads of cherries to be made into maraschino cherriesThe companys company was also given permission to sell fresh (green) peaches by the California Peach and Fig Growers in 1921.
Hooke declared bankruptcy in 1922, with $20,000 owed to A.V. Hooke, $26,000 to the Bank of Italy in San Francisco, and $19,000 to the Bank of Italy in Sunnyvale, and just enough assets to pay the debts. The company was sold to Schuckl Cannery in 1925. Schuckl extended the facility, adding a warehouse, cooling plant, day-care, and cottages.
|San Francisco||1920||268 Market Street|
|Sunnyvale||1907-1925||Fair Oaks Avenue|
- Bruntz, History of Los Gatos
- Hooke and Cribari: California Food Products directory. 1920.
- What Do You Say To This? 1908 Sunset Magazine. Development section article on the town of Sunnyvalue
- "These Shippers Have Signed with Peach and Fig Growers", Associated Grower magaine, July 1921. (Magazine published by California Associated Raisin Company and California Peach and Fig Growers)
- Cannery Man Bankrupt: May 19, 1922 Retail Grocer's Advocate.
- Sunnyvale City Council, Heritage Resource Nominations for Southwood and Fairorchard Neighborhoods, May 12, 2009. References purchase of Sunnyvale Canneries.
- Shippers signed with the Peach and Fig Growers: 1921 Associated Grower Magazine.