Libby, McNeil, and Libby
Libby, McNeil, and Libby was a Chicago-based canner, organized in 1875.
Their Sunnyvale cannery, opened in 1907, was large and long-lived; the water tank from the cannery still sits in the industrial park off Mathilda, painted as one of Libby's cans. Libby's opened the Sunnyvale cannery as their first west-coast plant due to the encouragement of local real estate agents and proximity to San Francisco Sunnyvale had primarily been a meat-packing company; the Sunnyvale plant was an attempt to broaden their product line The cannery closed in the early 1980's, and the plant was torn down by 1985.
|Sacramento||1913-1982||1724 Stockton Ave.||History|
|Sacramento||1914||Folsom Blvd. and Hazel Ave||Olive pickling.|
|San Francisco||1912||112 Market Street||Santa Marina Building|
|San Jose||1926-1927||4th and Lewis||Leased from California Prune and Apricot Growers.|
|Santa Clara||1927-||Franklin Street||Dried fruit.|
|Sunnyvale||1907-1981||Mathilda and Evelyn Avenue||water tank still exists.|