Difference between revisions of "San Martin Cannery"

From Packing Houses of Santa Clara County
Jump to navigation Jump to search
(Remove summary header)
Line 9: Line 9:
 
! Location !! Years !! Address !! Details
 
! Location !! Years !! Address !! Details
 
|-
 
|-
| San Martin || 1932 || ||  
+
| San Martin || 1930, 1932, 1946 || Monterey Highway || site named in [May 14, 1946 San Jose News http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=YysiAAAAIBAJ&sjid=RKQFAAAAIBAJ&pg=930%2C1014412] article on grass fire.
 
Burned to the ground in 1932.
 
Burned to the ground in 1932.
  
Line 15: Line 15:
 
|}
 
|}
 
==Details==
 
==Details==
 +
 +
Owner in 1930 was R.G. Mussolino.  According to the [http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=GAgvAAAAIBAJ&sjid=DKQFAAAAIBAJ&pg=1577%2C5619831 August 25, 1930 San Jose Evening News], he fell on a Monterey golf course and broke his collarbone.
  
 
Burned in April 1932 according to the [http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=HykiAAAAIBAJ&sjid=F6QFAAAAIBAJ&dq=cannery&pg=1991%2C3812024 San Jose News, April 7, 1932]  
 
Burned in April 1932 according to the [http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=HykiAAAAIBAJ&sjid=F6QFAAAAIBAJ&dq=cannery&pg=1991%2C3812024 San Jose News, April 7, 1932]  
Cannery had not been in operation since the tomato pack six months before.  The foreman at the time of the fire was Sully De Carlo, and the plant owned by R. G. Mussolino.  The cannery itself was erected in 1907, originally as winery that was part of California Wine Association.
+
Cannery had not been in operation since the tomato pack six months before.  The foreman at the time of the fire was Sully De Carlo, and the plant owned by R. G. Mussolino.  The cannery itself was erected in 1907, originally as winery that was part of California Wine Association.  The [http://newspaperarchive.com/oakland-tribune/1932-04-12/page-22 April 12, 1932 Oakland Tribune] reported that the fire wiped out the main building and machinery of their plant located on the Monterey Highway, with damages estimated at $25,000 and the loss of 5,000 cases of canned goods.
 +
 
 +
[http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=YysiAAAAIBAJ&sjid=RKQFAAAAIBAJ&pg=930%2C1014412 May 14, 1946 San Jose Evening News] reports on a fire on land owned by the San Martin Canning Company which burned an acre of land.
 
[[Category:San Martin]]
 
[[Category:San Martin]]
 
[[Category:Cannery]]
 
[[Category:Cannery]]

Revision as of 16:12, 13 August 2013

Summary
Business

Cannery
Main Location

San Martin

Locations

Location Years Address Details
San Martin 1930, 1932, 1946 Monterey Highway site named in [May 14, 1946 San Jose News http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=YysiAAAAIBAJ&sjid=RKQFAAAAIBAJ&pg=930%2C1014412] article on grass fire.

Burned to the ground in 1932.

Details

Owner in 1930 was R.G. Mussolino. According to the August 25, 1930 San Jose Evening News, he fell on a Monterey golf course and broke his collarbone.

Burned in April 1932 according to the San Jose News, April 7, 1932 Cannery had not been in operation since the tomato pack six months before. The foreman at the time of the fire was Sully De Carlo, and the plant owned by R. G. Mussolino. The cannery itself was erected in 1907, originally as winery that was part of California Wine Association. The April 12, 1932 Oakland Tribune reported that the fire wiped out the main building and machinery of their plant located on the Monterey Highway, with damages estimated at $25,000 and the loss of 5,000 cases of canned goods.

May 14, 1946 San Jose Evening News reports on a fire on land owned by the San Martin Canning Company which burned an acre of land.