Sterling Lumber Company
Adams and Johnson
The Sterling Lumber Company was a lumberyard chain in Northern California in the first half of the 20th century. The company started as a planing mill and lumber yard in BerkeleyF. G. Duttle was the president in 1922] The company was started from the Adams and Johnson chain.
Sterling Lumber in Los Gatos
The company's site was originally the Santa Clara Valley Mill and Lumber Company; it was bought by the R. W. Adams Company, which then became Adams and Johnson in 1916. The chain's name became Sterling Lumber in 1922. Sterling Lumber chain closed in 1968; the land was sold to become a parking lot.
Edwin R. Haller was the local manager from 1922 to 1961.
|Los Gatos||1922-1968||University Ave.||Former Adams and Johnson, former Santa Clara Valley Mill and Lumber.|
|Morgan Hill||East Fourth Street||Shared site with Sunsweet dryer.|
|San Francisco||Alexander Building||Head office.|
|Santa Rosa||Colombo-Fuller yard|
Back side of Sterling Lumber along SP railroad tracks. History Los Gatos.
Rear entrance to Sterling Lumber behind First National Bank. Photo taken February 12, 1930. History Los Gatos.
Rear gate. History San Jose.
- Will Be President of the Sterling Lumber Company. January 8, 1907 Santa Cruz Evening Sentinel.
- Sterling Lumber Co. Buys Yards at Santa Rosa and Penngrove. November 1, 1922 California Lumber Merchant.
- George F. Bruntz, History of Los Gatos. Valley Publishers, 1971.
- Initial Study / Addendum to the Morgan Hill Downtown Specific Master Environmental Impact Report, Sunsweet Mixed-Use Development. City of Morgan Hill, January 2017. "The site was occupied by the Growers Packing and Warehouse Association Plant and included a railroad spur along Depot Street and a large structure immediately west of the railroad spur. Boilers and tanks were mapped underneath the structure and two sheds occurred to the north of the building. The site was also occupied by Sterling Lumber Company, with lumber sheds and an office structure."