The Zicovich Winery, run by Stephen Zicovich, was a local winery operating in San Jose at the turn of the 19th century. Their winery was located on San Carlos Street, just west of the narrow gauge railroad tracks. The original building burned in 1899 in a fire that also destroyed the Castle Brothers packing house next door. The building was brick, built in the previous ten years. A cooperage for the winery sat at the front of the lot. A cellar held the wine casks. Next to the winery was the Castle Brothers packing house, a former hay warehouse built of brick. The newspaper article on the fire notes that wine prices had dropped in recent years.
Newspaper articles on the fire comment on the appearance of this neighborhood on the edge of San Jose and outside fire department boundaries. There was a cooper at the front of the property, a junk peddler, and a couple residences. Across the tracks was the Great Western Can Company. Across San Carlos was a blacksmith (one's listed in 1896 directory at San Carlos and Sunol.) A blacksmith shop operated across San Carlos St.
The former winery site became Santa Clara Valley Mill and Lumber's yard in 1901. The lumber yard had formerly been at Fourth and San Fernando. In later years, Stephen Zicovich also sold dried fruit. He later operated the Lincoln Winery at 971 West San Carlos in 1911.
|San Jose||-1899||San Carlos Street, west of narrow gauge.|
- Heavy Damage From Flames: Disastrous Fire Visits San Jose Today: April 20, 1899 San Jose Evening News.
- Fourth Street Lumber Mills Occupy New Site. April 4, 1901 San Jose Evening News. "The work of removing the plant of the Santa Clara Valley Mill and Lumber Company to the site formerly occupied by the Zicovich winery on San Carlos Street just across the Los Gatos Creek, which was described at length in the News not long since, has been inaugurated and the new yards already have 80,000 feet of lumber in place.... as soon as [the lumber at the old site is sold], the plant will then be moved from the corner of Fourth and San Fernando streets where it has stood for so many years, to its new location and the site prepared for building purpose, which owning to its adjacency to the Normal and High Schools and the probable location of the new Carnegie Library, will prove most desirable."
- 1911 San Jose city directory