California Fruit Exchange
The California Fruit Exchange was a dried fruit packer and marketing organization active in California throughout the 20th century. The organization was founded in 1901 to market and negotiate for farmers. California Fruit Exchange was headquartered in Sacramento.
California Fruit Exchange in San Jose
The California Fruit Exchange operated a plant on Bassett Street in San Jose around 1906. The building had formerly been the Pioneer Fruit Company, though Pioneer continued to have offices in the building. The manager of the San Jose plant in 1906 was F. H. Smith. The building burned during a fire in August 1907. The fire consumed an empty building; "the plant has not been in operation since cherry season."
The exchange encouraged the creation of the Santa Clara Valley Fruit Exchange in 1919, and served as their marketing arm for some period of its existence.
|Sacramento||1932-1966||4th and P Street.|
|San Jose||1904||24 W. Santa Clara|
|San Jose||1906||Bassett Street near Terraine||Burned in 1907.|
|Santa Clara||1964||1061 Martin Avenue|
- Organization history.
- Saved By Heroic Work: August 4, 1907 San Jose Sunday Mercury and Herald
- 1909 California Fruit Growers Magazine
- California Fruit Exchange building at 4th and P in Sacramento was built in 1932
- Saved By Heroic Work: August 4, 1907 San Jose Sunday Mercury and Herald. Plant burned to the ground. "The front of the home of A. Delmaestro at 255 Bassett was charred, the windows broken, and the fences burned."