Clark Canning was a Mountain View canner who packed pears, apricots, apples, and peaches. The cannery was founded by C.H. Clark in 1921 using the former Concentrated Paste Company plant. The cannery was on Sterling Road. The company was in existence as late as 1929.
Sterling appears to be the correct name; that street name appears in several sources, with some residents listed as "one and a half miles north of Mountain View". There's a chance that the road was a misspelling of Stierlin Road, but it's also possible this refers to the Sterling Park neighborhood of Palo Alto (just north of San Antonio Ave. exit off the Bayshore Freeway.)
|Mountain View||1922, 1928||Sterling Road|
- Pear Cutters Wanted: September 27, 1927 San Jose Evening News.
- C. H. Clark. In Eugene Sawyer, History of Santa Clara County. 1921
- California Canneries: September 1921 Western Canner and Packer. "C.H. Clark announced July 5 that the plant would run on a small scale this season."
- Clark Canning Ad. 1929 Mountain View High School yearbook.
- C. H. Clark. In Eugene Sawyer, [History of Santa Clara County http://www.ebooksread.com/authors-eng/eugene-t-sawyer/history-of-santa-clara-county-california-ywa/page-240-history-of-santa-clara-county-california-ywa.shtml]. 1921
- "Mountain View Canneries Run Full Capacity": July 25, 1928 San Jose Evening News. "The Clark Canning Company on the Sterling Road began work o peaches, with a full crew of 150 employees. A speciality of fruit salad is being put up by the company this year."