Dried Fruit Packer
Guggenhime and Company
|San Francisco||1912||16 California St|
|San Jose||1902, 1904||Ryland St. near San Pedro St.|
|San Jose||1906, 1907||285 W. Julian|
|San Jose||1907||Bassett St|
|San Jose||1918||New Street and Pleasant Street|
Listed as Phoenix Dried Fruit in 1904, and as "Phoenix Raisin Seeding and Packing Co" in Oct 6, 1906 San Francisco Call.
Mentioned in land description in groundwater pollution deed restrictions on FMC land.
Was going to merge with Castle, Guggehime, and Rosenberg Brothers in 1905, but Rosenberg Brothers apparently backed out after snooping on the others's business, according to an article on the lawsuit in the Oct 6, 1905 San Francisco Call. Phoenix owners may have been A. Gartenlaub and Alex Goldstein acc. to Call article.
Appeared to be owned by Guggenhime as of 1922 - advertised together (California Fruit News, March 18, 1922). April 8, 1922 California Fruit News notes that "the plant originally of the Phoenix Packing Company at Fresno, belonging to Guggenhime and Co and which was leased by them to the California Peach and Fig Growers, was destroyed by fire on March 31 and the damage is placed at $200,000..."
July 28, 1900 Pacific Rural Press cites San Jose Mercury News declaring Phoenix Packing started building a three story warehouse, 150 feet long by 50 feet wide in Santa Clara County.